Brown & Meyers has 20+ years of experience in providing secure, HIPAA compliant transcription services to hundreds of medical and legal clients nationwide. In addition, Brown & Meyers utilizes Sharefile by Citrix for sending and receiving secure email messages with or without attachments, and enhanced workflow solutions via secure FTP. Faxing for both send and receive is also secure via our proprietary Classifax platform.
What is HIPAA?
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) was enacted to ensure health insurance portability when workers change or lose their jobs as well as protecting the security and privacy of sensitive health information.
Secure Dictation Platform
Brown & Meyers uses WebchartMD secure dictation platform to ensure complete HIPAA compliance, confidentiality and security of your customers' information.
Protecting PHI in the Digital Workplace
WebChartMD takes the following steps to protect PHI from being stored on the computers of employees involved in the production and management of patient healthcare information:
- Many web-based systems inadvertently store files accessed from a web-based application in a Temp or temporary internet folder. WebChartMD’s system sweeps the user’s Temp directory and automatically purges all PHI that was opened by the user after each access to their online account.
- After transcribing and uploading a completed document, WebChartMD immediately purges the audio file from the transcriptionist’s computer. A copy of the completed transcription can be configured for storage on the transcriptionist’s computer in a hidden folder (ShadowCopy) for disaster recovery purposes and purged at a configurable time interval.
Audit & Security Features
WebChartMD has the following primary features for Audit and Security:
- All Web traffic is sent over a 128-bit encrypted SSL channel.
- All dictations and documents are stored in an encrypted form in the database. A 256- bit AES (Rijndael) encryption scheme is used to accomplish this. The same scheme is also approved for securing TOP SECRET US Government data by the NSA.
- All passwords are stored using a one way hash and a random salt value. When users authenticate themselves on the web portal, the passwords entered are hashed as well and only hashes are compared, thus increasing user password security.
- WebChartMD allows the Practice as well as the MT Vendor to edit documents online via the web portal. Prior iterations of all documents edited in this fashion are preserved as well to maintain full history. Thus, when the audit trail says the document was edited, the user is able to look in the prior iterations and see exactly what edit was done.
- All Document and Dictation access is captured in an extensive audit trail, with every action taken against the document or dictation being made available to view via the web portal. Each action is also marked with a date/time stamp, the type of action, and the username of the person who performed the action (see image).
- All document edits are stored in a Document History archive, which retains each version of the document, and displays who made edits and when.